Dear Foxfires: After reading yet another story this morning on the sad shape of the book publishing and book selling businesses, I've decided to make a new year's resolution to buy books only from real stores, preferably independents...
OR, get them from the libraries.
This way we support two institutions that readers and writers depend on.
I'm writing a piece for my blog/radio show advocating this for all book clubs, seeing as how our demographic --boomer and older women--- is the largest group of book buyers/readers around.
What do you all think? Not buy on amazon or ebay or halfprice or any of the knock-offs UNLESS that is the only way to find the book.. I know we're all trying to be thrifty in these mean times, but look what happened to Cody's.
Maybe if all book clubs did this for one year we could help the very places that support our wonderful habit.. Be it reading, writing or both..
As David Streitfeld said today in the NYT "No industry undermined by its greater partisans will thrive long."
the link is: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/28/weekinreview/28streitfeld.html?_r=1&scp=5&sq=david%20streitfeld&st=cse
Susan
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I like the idea in theory but think buying locally is complicated. I am hoping that Obama and folk will figure out much of this for us. I can't always buy locally. I buy at half.com and will continue to because that is green purchasing and reusing. I can't afford to buy all my food locally just like I can't afford to buy all my books locally. Either can my students, and I want them to care about reading and find ways to do it. I can't afford to buy all organic. It is not always as easy as I would like to make what seems the right choice. Sigh.
ReplyDeleteMiriam